Utility Bill Assistance

What if I need help immediately?

If one of the following applies to you, please apply for “crisis assistance.”

  1. You are disconnected from your natural gas, electricity, or water (including sewer) service.
  2. You have a disconnection notice from your natural gas, electricity, water, or sewer service provider.
  3. You are about to default on a payment arrangement you made with your utility company and will be at-risk of disconnection.
  4. You use propane or fuel oil and your tank is at or below 30% full.

To apply for Crisis Assistance, please call us at 563-324-3236 during business hours, or use the chat feature on this site. You can also book an appointment for a phone application using the button below. Due to the pandemic we are not seeing customers in our office at this time. Please apply be either calling us, or booking an appointment time for a phone application.

Book an appointment with Community Action of Eastern Iowa using Setmore

Income guidelines apply. Please view this list of documents you will need to apply. Submitting an application without the documentation will delay the processing of your application. If you applied for regular assistance during the past winter heating season we may not need all of these documents.

When Can I Apply for Regular Assistance (not at risk of disconnection)?

You can apply starting October 1, 2021, if your household includes someone age sixty or over, or someone who has a disability. All other households can apply beginning November 1, 2021. The last day to apply for the 2021-2022 winter heating season will be April 30, 2022.

You may be able to get help paying for part of your winter heating costs if you meet income guidelines.  Community Action of Eastern Iowa will help you apply for benefits through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).   Until you apply, we cannot tell you how much money you will receive, but the amount could range from $200 to more than $500.  Assistance levels depend on income level, family size, the type of fuel you use to heat your home, and other factors.  If you are determined eligible for benefits through the LIHEAP program, you will also be prevented from disconnection from your heating and electrical service through April 1st of each year. If you heat your home with liquid propane (LP), you can qualify to receive delivery of propane through this program.

Energy Conservation Tips

Energy Conservation Infographic