Documentation Needed

Documents You Need for Utility Assistance

Having the correct paperwork when you apply will make your application easier.  The list below answers the questions most people have about what to bring.  If you have a different income, or still have questions after reading the list, please call us or use the Contact Us form at the bottom of the page. You can also download a printable checklist at this link.

    • Proof of Social Security Numbers for All Household Members.  Bring Social Security cards for everyone living in your home.  If someone does not have a card, contact the branch office you will visit to find out what to do. Adults can use a valid Iowa Drivers License instead of a Social Security Card.
    • Most Recent Heating Bill.
    • Most Recent Electric Bill.
    • Proof of Income for All Household Members.  You may provide income from the past 30 days prior to the application, or for the past year, whatever is easier or more beneficial for you.  The chart below describes the documents you should have available for the types of income that apply to your household.


Utility Assistance Income Documents

Type of IncomePast 30 daysPast Year
Wages, SalaryPaycheck stubs for the past 30 days (if paid every other week, most recent 2)All W-2 forms, or your last completed Federal Income Tax return
Self Employment, Rental Income, or Farm IncomeNot applicableLast completed Federal Income Tax Return
Social Security (Disability or Retirement), or SSICheck copy, award letter, or bank statement showing direct deposit1099 SSA letter, or last completed Federal Income Tax return for SSA or SSDI. For SSI, we will need a printout from social security for all months
Pension, Retirement, or Veteran's BenefitsCopy of award letter, copy of check received, or bank statement showing direct deposit1099 R for pension or retirement income, or most recent Federal Income Tax return
Adoption SubsidyCopy of the check or the monthly statementMonthly statements from the past year
Child SupportChild Support printout, copy of the check, or statement from the payerPrintout for the past year, copies of checks, or statement from payer
Family Investment Program (FIP) BenefitsAward letter from DHS or copy of your check. If you have received FIP for more than one month, we may be able to get this for youOur office can get this for you if you have lived in the county for the past year
Worker's CompensationBenefit statementsBenefit statements for the past year or statement from the payer
Dividend BenefitsLetter or statement showing the amount received1099 DIV or the most recent Federal Income Tax return
Unemployment BenefitsPrintout from Workforce Development1099 G or most recent Federal Income Tax return